Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
YIELD: Serves 6 TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
- 450g sweet potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 200g medium yellow onion, diced
- 250g large green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (15-ounce) can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 medium-sized 100% whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings for serving: light sour cream (or plain non-fat Greek yogurt), diced avocado, salsa, chopped fresh cilantro
- Cut potatoes into 1-inch chunks. Place in a large saucepan, cover with water, then bring to a boil. Continue boiling until the potato chunks are fork tender, about 8 minutes. Remove pot from heat, drain the potatoes, then return the potatoes to the pot and mash. Stir in the chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, smoked paprika, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and chipotle chili pepper until incorporated. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and peppers and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Continue to sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes more. Stir the sautéed vegetables into sweet potato mash. Stir in black beans until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then lightly coat with cooking spray. Place a single tortilla in skillet, then spoon a heaping 1/2 cup of filling onto half of the tortilla and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of shredded cheese. Fold the empty half of tortilla over the top. Let cook until the bottom of the tortilla is browned and lightly crispy (about 1-2 minutes), then flip and brown the other side. Serve immediately with any desired toppings.
NUTRITION FACTS Serving Size: 1 quesadilla, without extra toppings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 716mg Carbohydrates: 52g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 9g Protein: 15g
Thanks to WellPlated for the recipe!