Meet Hannah! Hannah will be joining us as an intern. We’re very excited to have her on board. She will be starting at the desk, and progressing her way into classes over the coming weeks.
Hannah holds her L1, and has attended the CF Olympic Weightlifting and Gymnastics seminars, among other things. She is joining the team to further advance her coaching skills. We got to know Hannah a little better in our interview below
First of all, tell us a little bit about yourself—where are you from, what do you do outside of the time you spend here—work, hobbies, fun facts, etc. anything goes! The more the better! What would you like people to know about you?
– I was born and raised in Toronto. I spend a lot of my spare time doing DIY projects and making things in general, whether its music, art jewellery or clothing. I love the outdoors and exploring the city in the summer. (Fun fact) I am afraid of the dark and have never been on an airplane.
Tell us a little bit about your fitness history. What were you doing before you joined CrossFit 416?
– Running initially got me into fitness. I never did it competitively, just for fun and to challenge myself because I was never an athletic kid (I wore jeans to gym class). I slowly transitioned into lifting weights and then into a lot of high intensity training with kettlebells and kettlebell sport training which turned into an interest in CrossFit and Olympic Lifting.
If you could go back to your first ever CrossFit class and give yourself some advice based on what you know and understand now, what would it be?
– My advice to myself would be: just because you think you can do the Rx weight, doesn’t mean you actually can do it (well)
What is your favourite movement in CrossFit? Why?
– My favourite movement hands down are squat cleans. There’s nothing better than picking up a heavy weight off of the floor, propelling it upwards and catching it in a squat.
Aaaand your least favourite movement and why?
– Least favourite movement are pull-ups. They make me mad! They’re a weakness of mine and something I need to work on.
If we could create a Hero WOD named “Hannah”, what would it be? Movements, rep schemes, rounds, length of time, etc. all variables are yours to unleash your programming creativity here!
– My WOD would be:
15 burpee box jump overs
200 m farmer carry
15 power cleans
I love anything with lots of burpees, I love cleans and there’s nothing like a heavy farmer carry to work that grip!
List three things that can always be found in your fridge.
– Ketchup (I put it on everything), eggs and some kind of cheese.
What is the thing you’re most proud of accomplishing in your life thus far?
– I think I am most proud of staying focused and driven towards my own personal goals. I am not one to quit or back down when things become stressful or difficult.
Who or what inspires you on a personal level?
– The people I train with inspire me the most. They push me to work harder and be the best version of myself inside/outside the gym. Mattie Rogers is also a big source of inspo for me, she’s unreal.
What is your favourite cheat meal/food?
– My fave cheat food is bread, especially homemade and freshly baked.
What is your biggest guilty pleasure?
– Another food one, Kraft Dinner is my guilty pleasure. It’s gross but good at the same time.
Tell us something about yourself no one might ever guess about you.
– I have a very irrational fear of flies…They freak me out. I’m ok with pretty much every other bug but if a fly lands on me I might just cry.
What is your most embarrassing childhood/teenage infatuation/trend/fad, etc. that you wholeheartedly prescribed to (favourite bands, fashion styles, haircuts, accessories, etc.)?
– I used to get a super brutal haircut from my mom when I was younger that was a bowl cut with crooked front bangs. I wore a lot of t-shirts with reptiles on them, cargo shorts and chucks. I looked like a little boy for half of my childhood.