CrossFit 416 Daily – Friday, March 20
News and Notes:
- Friday Nights Lights round #4 is on tonight @ 6:30pm. Make sure you are registerd for Friday Night Lights on Mindbody.
- If you do not register for Friday Night Lights, you will not be put in a heat and will have to find another time to complete the WOD.
- Heats will be emailed to participants by 12pm.
- Picnic Club will be popping off so come prepared with a few beverages and your best dish that has eggs in the ingredients..(Crystal really wants cake)
Tips for CrossFit Open 15.4
Handstand Push-ups – Shoulders, shoulders, shoulders
- Lax ball shoulder and t-spine smash
- Yoga Push-ups, and shoulder dislocates
- Wall Walks
- Handstand holds + negatives will warm-up the full range of motion and challenge stability
Cleans – Rack position and hamstring/glute activation will be important to be successful in this WOD.
- Foam roll your t-spine and lats
- Banded shoulder distraction
- Barbell smash your shoulder while moving through internal rotation – to ensure you’re ready to pull your elbows around quickly as you become fatigued.
- Barbell range of motion warm-up (Deadlift, muscle clean, front squat, good morning)
- Burgener style warm-up-focusing on speed of the barbell
- Box jumps, or broad jumps to warm-up your explosive power
This WOD is all about staying within your capabilities. Pacing through the reps is your most ideal strategy. The WOD will not be won in the first 2 min, but it can be lost in those first two min. If the load (185/125) is very light for you and you are able to do consecutive reps at that load with good technique and not gas yourself, then doing the round of 3 and 6 unbroken seems reasonable. After this point, touch n go reps will depend on how fatigued you are, and how resilient you are in these situations. If you are someone who can get really fatigued then recover, keep pushing and maintain a good pace, touch n go makes sense for you.
From the outset, if you’re not competent in kipping handstand push-ups, you must ensure that you do not go to failure, as your shoulders and arms are important for this workout. With kipping handstand push-ups, for speed, a short kip (knees only slightly passing your hips) is ideal. Once you’re fatigued, bring your knees all the way down to your chest to provide extra power to ensure you don’t get any failed reps in the later stages of the workout.
For push press, your goal should be to not let the bar touch the ground. Resting the bar at your shoulders should be the strategy to avoid cleaning the weight every time. For the cleans, ensuring that you keep close contact to the bar and your body will allow for greater efficiency. Even the though the weight is light, do not muscle clean the bar. Focus on perfect mechanics and a good rhythm with your reps.
CrossFit Open 15.4
3 handstand push-ups
3 cleans (185/125)
6 handstand push-ups
9 handstand push-ups
12 handstand push-ups
15 handstand push-ups
18 handstand push-ups
21 handstand push-ups
Etc., following same pattern
10 Push Press(95/65)