Are you ready for a competition?
This is a trick question – we don’t sign up for 10k runs, Marathons, Tough Mudder, or CrossFit Competitions because we are ready to compete. We don’t sign up because we think that we are finally in good enough shape or that its finally time to show off all the work you put in. So why should you sign-up for a competition?
1) To find out what you’re capable of – Competition will push you to your limits. It’s very common to coast a little during a class or training session. The adrenaline felt during a competition will show you what your body is capable of.
2) Identify true weaknesses – A weakness is only a real weakness if you find you are unable to do it while working at your hardest. Competitions force you to complete movements you might normally avoid. This small feeling of failure will propel you to push harder to get better next time the movement comes up in class.
3) Training with purpose – Preparing for an upcoming competition will provide a high level of motivation during training. You get to strategize, work harder, and seek advice from coaches all with a goal in mind to do your best in the comp. This motivation can help you get out of a training rut, and move you forward.
4) Inspiration – During competition you will have an opportunity to watch incredible displays of strength, power, endurance, and overall determination. Watching someone achieve a goal during competition (like a PR, or their first pull-up) makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Witnessing moments like this are inspirational, and give you extra push and focus to achieve your own goals.
5) Make new friends and have FUN! –You most likely attend the same class time every day at CF416. So naturally you’re only exposed to a small group of 416 members. Our in-house or team competitions bring more like minded 416’ers together in friendly competition. It’s a great way to meet some new people and have some fun doing it.
If you’re on the fence about participating in an upcoming competition, talk to a coach, or ask a friend to compete with you. It might be what you need to drive you forward, to break your plateaus, and even give you confidence and added purpose to your training!
- CF 416 Classic September 21, 2018. A staple in our annual calendar. This Classic is a great way to test yourself against all the hard work you’ve put into developing your Olympic lifting skills and strength. The format is “ladder” style and ALL members are encouraged to participate. Sign-up NOW!
- Battle of the Boxes – September 29th, 2018 @ CF Metric. We’re looking for teams to compete in this mixed CrossFit competition. There are 3 divisions available based on fitness and skill level. Contact Dana@crossfit416.ca if you’re interested in competing.
- CF 416 Members Competition – November 17, 2018. Our annual members competition is a can’t miss event. Be prepared to challenge yourself, cheer on your team mates, and wear a funny costume. Stay tuned for details.
I want to thank all of you for partaking in this year’s CrossFit 416 Lifestyle Challenge. It’s pretty incredible the amount of success we saw over such a short amount of time. Thanks to those of you who were able to come out on a Thursday night for our little end celebration (so much food).
Here’s a little recap of our winners so you guys can make sure to congratulate them when you see them in class along with our honourable mentions. Below are just a few of our incredible before and after transformations!
If you didn’t take part in this year’s challenge and feel like you missed out on your opportunity to make a lifestyle change, don’t worry! Please reach out and let me know if you would like to have a free 20 minute consultation to chat about your goals.
Lifestyle Challenge 2018 Winner (male) – Sam Nudelman
Our winner for our male is someone who pretty much rocked the leaderboard the entire 4 weeks. Maybe a lot of you don’t know this silent killer but you all will now! He comes regularly to the 7am classes and in four weeks, with 249 points, he gained 6 lbs, 4 being muscles, and dropped 1% in body fat.
Lifestyle Challenge 2018 Winner (female) – Leslie Blumer
Our winner for females has been absolutely crushing it in the gym. She’s feeling stronger than ever, she’s leaner, more energized, and has taken to the challenge so so well. Over the past four weeks with 242 points, she took 1 min 12 seconds off her wod time, lots 4 lbs, maintained her muscle mass, and dropped 3 percent body fat!
Most drastic InBody Scan results – Paul Pettigrew
With 11lbs down, and 3% body fat down, our most drastic scan award goes to Paul Pettigrew
Biggest WOD Improvement Score – Dulcie Vousden
Duclie was able to take 2 minutes and 52 seconds off her initial WOD time, blowing everyone out of the water.
Most active on the FB group – Irina Karpenko
Watched every live, asked all of the questions, emailed me plenty of times, and was a fantastic influence the whole 4 weeks. She was eager to learn and motivate other people through the group all while leaning out and hitting the gym 5 times a week.
Congratulations to all our prize winners!
Overkill Award: Carsten
Accidentally did 50 thrusters in his first test WOD.
Complete Lifestyle Change: Darius
Quit alcohol, partying, and have done a complete 180 with the way he treats his body now.
A for Effort Award: Laura Beckford
Went into the challenge RED hot, ready to win it. With a little slip up, she fell back but still managed to be the biggest smack talker in the gym.
Veterans Awards: Scott Enright
Every year for the past 5 years Scott has completed the lifestyle challenge with great results. Too bad he’s already so jacked that it’s hard to give him the winning prize.
Most interesting questions awards: Grant Carew
Once asked the nutritional information on medical marijuana.
Most Demanding Calorie Change: Kailee Cuismano
Upped to 2500 kcals and had a difficult time consuming that much food but was able to let her body adjust and now she’s ripped and crushing all her workouts.
See you next year for our 2019 Lifestyle Challenge!!
In 2018 I plan to meditate every single day!
My goal is to complete the Rx+ workouts without scaling weight or reps!
It’s been a lifelong dream to compete in a hotdog eating contest..joking. In 2018 I will walk 20m non-stop in a handstand!
I’m going to develop the strength and skill to perform a human flag!
Strict Handstand Push-ups – I’m coming for you!
In 2018, my goal is to write in my journal every day! I also plan to visit an art gallery once per month!
Have you set your goals for 2018? Who is going to keep you accountable? Let us help you. Book a goal setting session with your favourite coach today!
As we near the end of another year, we are getting reading to host our Lifestyle Challenge once again. This is our 5th year doing the challenge and every year it gets a little bit better. This year the challenge is brought to you by BODZii, (our Nutrition and Lifestyle service) that will guide you in focusing on food quality and building a healthy relationship with food. Our main goal remains the same – to introduce you to an individualized nutrition program that will support and promote active and healthy lifestyles. We truly believe that nutrition plays a critical role in your fitness, and proper nutrition can help amplify your training and overall lifestyle.
Here’s how the challenge works:
1. Sign up! Registration is $65 and will be open from December 18th to January 6th, and available by going to the Bodzii Website
2. Seminar Day January 7th. Dietitian, Emilie and BODZii Head Coach, Robyn will be hosting a seminar to kick-off the Lifestyle Challenge! We will be covering all things nutrition and lifestyle including the basics (am I eating the right things?), expectations, tips & tricks to tracking food and ultimately how to find the most success during the challenge. Attendance is STRONGLY recommended.
3. Prep-Week January 7th to 14th. We have included a prep week to ensure each member starts this challenge off on the right foot. 7 days to clear out your kitchen, go grocery shopping, and making sure you know how to set yourself up for the most success come kick-off day.
4. Kick-Off Day January 15th. The official start date of the challenge! The 4-weeks begins here – good luck!
5. Final Day February 11th. The Lifestyle Challenge end date, just in time for you to kick some ass in the CrossFit Open with the new and improved you.
6. End of Challenge Party February 15th. We’re hosting a party to celebrate all your victories over the past 4 weeks. Food, drink, and lots of fun. Hours/Location TBD.
New to the Challenge
Included in the challenge this year will be an InBody Scan. This system is a body composition analysis machine that will give you all the information about what you’re made of. This 30 second test will provide you information on your Muscle – Fat ratio including lean body mass, body fat mass, visceral fat areas etc. It will also give you your basal metabolic rate and obesity analysis along with much more information. This scan will be done once at the beginning of the challenge and once at the end of the challenge for you to see your progress laid out for you!
If you’re wondering what the Lifestyle Challenge can do for you, take a look at the before and after photos that are posted on Instagram each Thursday in December. The results speak for themselves! This challenge is a commitment to yourself. You will learn not only how to dial in your nutrition, but you will have a network of others doing the exact same thing, motivating you every step of the way.
We are so excited to get into this year’s lifestyle challenge, and hope you are too!!
If you have any questions email email@example.com or ask any of your coaches in class!
Now that you’ve almost completed our No sugar, More Sleep September challenge, I’m sure a lot of you at this point are ready to go pile your face into a box of powdered donuts. Or maybe you’re feeling absolutely fantastic, have never felt better and are ready to go 100% sugar free for the rest of your life because you’ve finally realized that sugar is the devil… right?
In order to make sure that you don’t regret any drastic decisions come Monday morning, I’ve put together 6 great reasons to keep sugar in your diet and feel good about it. Whether you find yourself feeling guilty from eating too much sugar all the time, or you think that sugar is going to kill you at first contact with the lips, here’s some middle ground.
1 – Sugar in it’s natural form.
Sugar addicts – Sugar naturally occurs in fruits, vegetables and dairy. Curb your sweet tooth with some raspberries or blueberries (natures candy) or add in some Stevia to your yogurt. There are tons of ways to curb that sweet tooth without resorting to processed, refined sugars.
Anti-Sugar – Sugar’s contribution to conditions like obesity and heart disease has more to do with it’s abundance in diets filled with highly processed foods. It also includes many other factors like physical activity, smoking etc. It’s not black and white. If you’re trying to eat foods in their natural forms (whole fruits instead of juice), you’re exposing yourself to tons of amazing vitamins.
2- Make it a minority
Sugar Addicts – Crave something sweet every morning? Instead of reaching for a donut and some coffee with your sugar, try making some overnight oats with a little brown sugar and dried fruit.
Anti-Sugar – Adding a little honey to your tea or maple syrup to your coffee might just do more good than harm. If you’re thinking that sugars and sweeteners will make you fat, think of it this way – a warm beverage like coffee or tea is known to suppress hunger. If you’re one of those people who seem like they’re hungry all the time, drink a little sweet tea or coffee. Your caloric intake will decrease even though you’ve added a sweetener to your diet.
3 – It makes things taste better.
Sugar Addicts – So you hear that vegetables are good for you, but you can’t bring yourself to eat any ‘cause… gross. Add honey to your dressing for your salad. Add some dates to a veggie green smoothie or make a brown sugar balsamic glaze for your baked green beans or asparagus.
Anti-Sugar – If it makes you eat your kale and raw broccoli a little less reluctantly (because I don’t care how healthy you are, no one likes a dry kale and raw broccoli salad and I care about your happiness and well-being) add those dried cranberries and honey balsamic glaze.
4- Great quick fuel.
Sugar Addicts – Maybe eating that chocolate chip muffin with the sugar crystals on top (you know which one’s I’m talking about…mmm) isn’t the best choice for a boost mid workout or pre-workout. But having some coconut, cashew date balls that you made in 5 minutes at home are a better option!
Anti-Sugar – Any modern-day folk who engage in physical activity, whether it be a marathon or a family bike ride for a couple hours, need something quick and easily digestible for some energy. You want things that are easily digestible while staying active. Chicken and carrots are going to sit in your stomach and even some fruits can be too fibrous to digest comfortably. No ones bringing a packet of dry oats and boiled water with them on a hike.
5 – You had a bad day
Both Sugar addicts and the Anti-sugar – No one is reaching for a boiled potato when they feel sad. Practice mindful eating and realize why you’re eating that cookie or cupcake. Knowing when to stop is a great way to stay consistent and practise healthy portion control. A cupcake a day isn’t the answer. And purposely making yourself sad for a slice of pity pie isn’t the answer either.
6 – Enjoy the experience, make a memory
Sugar addicts – Structure your lifestyle so that you can enjoy weekends away with friends while you indulge on sundaes and strawberry rhubarb pie without feeling the guilt. If 80% of your life is filled with nutritious whole foods, save the 20% to create memories. When you feel guilty for eating an extra slice of Mom’s pie at thanksgiving, it’s probably because you did the same thing 3 days earlier.
Anti-Sugar – Licking an ice cream cone with your kid at the beach, going to Ribfest with some co-workers, eating that delicious cinnamon raisin bread your roommate made you. These are things that will give you a healthy, joyful life with meaningful relationships. Isn’t that why you decided to become so healthy in the first place – to enjoy life more?
Hopefully through reading this, you realize that there’s a nice, happy, manageable middle ground when it comes to sugar. I know you’re heard the term “everything in moderation” and that really couldn’t be more true when it comes to sugar in the diet. Keep it in there to create some happiness, balance and a positive relationship with food. If this challenge has done anything, I hope it’s created some awareness about how much sugar (or how little sugar) you ate before and how you can make some adjustments moving forward to become more happy and healthy.
Really, this couldn’t be easier.
What You’ll Need
2 slices about 1/4 inch thick sweet potato, cut lengthwise
All natural peanut butter
What to do:
Toast sweet potato slices for about 10-15 minutes on high, flipping every 4-5 seconds until tender in the centre
Top it up!!